Monday 28 September 2015

DishFlix – For 356 Million Indian Youth Who Hate Family Dramas on TV

Can’t stand watching queasy, monotonic & completely predictable family dramas on TV? I can relate to that. In fact, several millions of Indian youth will relate to your pains of watching programs that clearly use no imagination because whoever makes those would rather milk the ‘daughter-in-law vs. the entire world’, ‘reality TV’ or the ‘singing-dancing’cow to death than do better.

And you can’t blame them because the formula still works, or does it?

If you can’t wrestle for the remote with your wife/sister/mom, better watch YouTube!

I am willing to wager (and I’m backed by YouTube’s data1) that anyone below the age of 24 would rather watch movies &seasons of old but popular American TV shows on YouTube than accompany family members watching TV.

If you think that doesn’t happen, and a huge fraction of 356 million2Indian men & women (age group: 10-24)‘choose’ to watch kids singing or women bickering over family issues while their on-screen husbands watch on haplessly, then well, good for you. Keep believing that while I, along with a few million victims of family drama on TV, check out what’s new on YouTube.

Now, if I sound like someone who ripped my own clothes to appear like a victim, you don’t feel my pain. Let me put it to you differently. I spent hours comparing features & choosing the Best Set Top Box, I picked the best DTH package with movie channels in it but I don’t get to watch anything because someone’s favourite serial is on TV. And so all I get to watch is the lousy news with dad! Why? I am young and I don’t care how costly onions are or even if I do it’s tiring to watch journalists flog the dead horse forever. Just give me movies!

The smart compromise: The one Dish TV gave me

The only time TV makes sense to me is when there is a good blockbuster on air. But again, the staleness of repeated movies is sickening. If that’s aploy to make young viewers ditch TV in favour of online video streaming alternatives, it’s working great!

Back on topic, Dish TV actually did something different and very smart with their DishFlix product. I always had the option of recording TV programs (every DTH provider gives you that)however, plugging in a USB drive, keeping the channel tuned to what I want to record - that’s too much work!

Easy does it for me, and there isn’t anything easier than DishFlix in the market if you love watching movies. The initial cost is Rs.5990with monthly subscription cost of just Rs.100 and for that I get 50 movies, 15 of which gets refreshed every month! Now I get to watch movies at my convenience.

Call 18002749000 if you are interested in knowing more about DishFlix.


1: Forbes India Magazine– September 16, 2015: (http://forbesindia.com/article/recliner/sticking-to-the-basics-always-helps-on-youtube/39723/1)

2: The Hindu (UN Report)– November 19, 2014: (http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-in-school/india-has-worlds-largest-youth-population-un-report/article6612615.ece)

No comments:

Post a Comment